Archive for January, 2008


WE are almost through the pre-signing stage. Here’s where we’re at:

  1. Colour scheme: We’ve had our colour appointment. This was quite arduous and at times overwhelming. We did make it through with the help of our excellent colour consultant. She really kept us on track and had some good ideas. I think she got a sense of our taste and made suggestions accordingly. This was part of the whole reason we went with these builders as they have a good selection of choices at their fingertips. If there is anything else that we want they are open to seeking out prices. We are still refining our final choices and have targeted the end of this week to have our changes to them.
  2. Flooring: We actually found that hard wood floors are within our budget as we’ve had them quoted for the ground floor. We are going to ask them for a price for the entire house aprt from wet areas.
  3. Contract: We still have not had a meeting with the builder to go over the contract which is quite disconcerting. For reasons (I won’t go into in this forum) I expect that this will not affect the final price and hope to sign next week subject to the availability of all involved.
  4. Finance: We obtained finance approval about 6 weeks ago, and our current lender is dragging their feet about changing over. They are bloody hopeless and I am looking forward to leaving them behind. If they would just send the discharge paperwork over we can finalise the finance.
  5. Demolition: We’ve had second quote from a demolisher who’s sign I saw in the local neighbourhood. They were very professional and prompt in providing a written quote. So we probably go with them. I also want to get another quote, but so far both quotes have been “there-abouts” in our budget.
  6. Set backs: The builder has told us we need to apply to side set back on the south side. We also want to have the front set back as far forward as possible. Currently the house can be sited at 8.5m without need to apply for report and consent. We want to have 7.5m. I have spoken to both neighbours and gave in principle support so I hope they will sign a letter of support as well. I have also found other houses in the street at nearly 6m so hopefully that will add to our case. (I’m happy to privately talk with anyone needing advice on applying for set back so just send me an e-mail.)



Read Full Post »


AFTER some time off over Christmas we are back to building. We’ve spent a lot of time thinking about the colours and have our colour selection appointment this Saturday. I have not been entirely happy with the level of customer service we have had so far.

BEGIN RANT:A few weeks before Christmas we went to the display village for another look and it was closed. It’s a half hour drive and with three kids in the back it was very disappointing to turn around. Our customer service person rang to make some appointments and we said that we did not think that we would be ready by then and we would need to set other times. He did not return my phone calls or e-mail, so when I followed up I found out that he had resigned. No one had contacted us to let us know. I’m still waiting to be reassigned a new customer service person. I went in to get some samples on a Sunday as they said they were open every day and we were welcome to come in. When I got there the receptionist said, “Oh no you can’t do that!” and went off to check and someone else asked me if I had an appointment to which I said “No! I was told I could come in any time and get samples!” Well I was finally let in but it seems as though we have to argue evey little thing with them. Geez! END RANT. Ahhh that’s better.

 We are fairly confident that we are ready for the colour selection on Saturday. We have still got to apply for the front and side backs. I’ve had a brickie come over to quote on the front fence and am still waiting for his price – that was about six weeks ago. Once we’ve made our colour selection I’ll post the palettes. I’d love to hear from anyone with comments so feel free to leave some.


Read Full Post »